My name is Deon Temne and I am running for re-election for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School Board because I truly believe we can be better and do better by our students. In my first four years, I have been a staunch advocate for safety and equity. I have a proven track record of holding us accountable to who we say we want to be--an excellent school district that meets the needs of all our children. That requires a willingness to make unpopular decisions at times, the courage to push against the status quo, and the tenacity to ask ourselves every day what we can do differently to give our most at risk students a better outcome. I am ready to continue to serve our community and I invite you to join me in creating the environment that ensures every student achieves their full potential.
A History of Success
Serving our community as a CHCCS board member since 2019, I have consistently put students over politics and tradition, advocating for changes that lead to better outcomes for all.
- Began leading the district through the uncertainty of the pandemic within the first 90-days in office
- Successfully advocated for our gifted identification practices to become more inclusive and equitable
- Modernized safety plans and protocols to better protect our students and schools
- Advocated for increased pay for district employees, including non-classified staff who are essential to our success
- Supported the launch of the district's first virtual academy
- Consistently brought an authentic, and often underrepresented perspective to every conversation and decision
Every vote I cast is for our students -- to empower them, help them thrive, and ensure they leave our district as their best selves.